Friday, January 16, 2009

What's in a Name?

A rose by any other name...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...you get the point. A blog is still a blog no matter what its name is. If you're interested (and even if you're not), here's the story of how this one got its name...

I had a conversation with a certain ten year old this morning regarding the uniqueness of some names that parents give their children at birth. We pondered why some people have very unusual names, whether others had names that had been in the family for a long time, how some names seemed the parents may have been on mind-altering substances when the nice lady with the birth certificate form came around.

But it went a level deeper when we discussed how people assume the race and/or nationality of a person based solely on his or her name. With a response I didn't expect, and that reminded me of my own preconceived notions, the answer from the back seat was this: "You can name someone whatever you want...they are still just a person."

So, like people and their names, a blog is still just a blog, no matter what it's called.

Some of you who know me well may assume that the name 'Excuse Me, What Was That?' stems from my desire to not miss a single snippet of the conversation I'm involved in. Others will assume the name is indicative of my desire to hear other conversations in public places that were never intended for my ears. You might even think I put lots of thought into the title; or you simply may not care -- after all, its just a blog, right? And then there are those who will hypothesize (correctly, I might add) that I am assuming you asked me the question, "Excuse me, what was that?" thereby giving me the right to tell you exactly what's on my mind.

After all, isn't that what this blogging thing is all about?

No comments: