Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rocket City Bound

Remember the field trips you went on as a kid in elementary school? Like, second graders went to the fire station, fourth graders went to the archives building since they were studying Alabama history, etc. For the most part we went on one, maybe two per year because otherwise, we were in class...studying...like we were supposed to be.

Madalyn has gone on no less than one per month this year in school. I don't like it; I don't buy into the argument that it enhances learning. The occasional field trip, yes. One per month, no. But I was determined she was going on the one coming up to the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville (yes, Huntsville, on a chartered bus with DVD player and restroom). Here's why...

A few months ago, the fourth graders went to Tuscumbia, Alabama, to visit Ivy Green, the home of Helen Keller. Yes, it was educational, but not for $60 per person. Rent a video for $5. I explained to Madalyn that she would not be going because it cost too much. So, she went into another teacher's room for the day while the other fourth graders travelled. No big deal. Except, the next day her principal asked her why she wasn't able to go. So, in true form, Madalyn told her we couldn't afford it. And the principal offered to pay her way on the next costly field trip with funds from the PTA.

Needless to say, I was mortified. It costs too much is vastly different from we can't afford it. Financially we could have sent her, but it was on principle that we did not. But, you can bet she's going to Huntsville. Form signed, check sent in, done.

No comments: