Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wide World of Sports

Anyone remember the old ABC series Wide World of Sports? For you younger folks, this show was a huge hit (it ran from the early 60s to the late 90s) before the rise of cable television's continuous coverage sports channels. It covered well known sports as well as lesser known ones. I don't remember the complete intro, but part of it talked about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Today was a wide world of sports day for me (I mostly experienced the thrill of victory). Nadal defeated Federer in the Australian Open (yes, I did get up at 2:30 AM to watch live coverage of the match). Big Ben helped the Steelers win the Super Bowl (my favorite commercial was the Mr & Mrs Potato Head Bridgestone ad). And I'm winding down the night watching the Winter X Games (these guys do crazy things on snow mobiles).

You know, about the only sporting event I can't watch on television is soccer...not even if David Beckham was playing in those Armani underwear he models.

No comments: