Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Pumpkins and mums on the front porch will soon give way to hand-traced turkeys hanging on the fridge followed by Christmas trees with blinking lights. I don't like to get ahead of the game -- you know, like most stores have already done with Christmas decorations galore cramming the aisles -- but I do anticipate the coming days with much glee.

It means I can use the Thanksgiving dishes that used to be Thanksgiving and Christmas dishes before I found -- and bought -- the three other Christmas patterns I love so much. I remember how my grandmother used to buy her best friend a new piece of this set each year as a Christmas gift. I fell in love with it back then and love it's classic design more each year. So Carolyn, here's to a beautifully set table, and to you for inspiring what has become a dearly loved tradition in our home. Sadly, the pattern has been discontinued.

One of the Christmas sets I really love I spied in La Crosse, Wisconsin, while travelling with my husband on a business trip. I finally found the set at a department store locally, and turns out they were only a one season wonder. Jeez...I'm o-fer here. But I just add to the collection, mix and match, and enjoy the holidays.

I hadn't planned for this post to be all about dishes. I really wanted to reflect on all the things that make me love this time of year. But it just goes to show you how much the little things -- place settings, favorite ornaments, annual Christmas Eve service at church -- contribute to the much loved traditions that can't be bought or wrapped up and tied with a bow. And it's those things that make it a most wonderful time of the year.

No comments: