Sunday, September 13, 2009

How Do You Spell Relief?

Last week, following the opening of college football season in the state, many local commentators couldn’t figure out why so many of us diehard Auburn fans were so excited about the upcoming season. Most commented that we shouldn’t be so sure we were such a great team after only one win to a less than formidable opponent.

Here’s what I think (‘cause I know you were just about to ask…)
It isn’t so much that I think we are a great team, it’s more like we all let out the collective breath we’d been holding since January when we realized we might not be as bad as we were last year. Be honest, fellow weaglers, we really weren’t all that impressive in the ’08 season.

Here’s why I think what I think
Three things contributed to the collective sigh of relief: coaching, cooperation, and confidence.

First, we have a coaching staff that is on the same page. Face it, Tony Franklin never had a chance to succeed. He couldn’t bring anyone with him and he just couldn’t stand alone. With a fresh direction under fresh personnel, we have a chance to be good.

Second, we have a cooperative team. Nobody seems to be a showboat yet. In fact, some players have already given credit to their success on the field to other team members doing their part. Last year, it was every man for himself. Who can forget the quarterback debacle?

Last, the team has a sense of confidence not seen in some time. I don’t think any of us could have imagined the effect selecting one person as quarterback would have on the overall confidence of the team. Once it was settled, I think it allowed players to be secure in their place on the team, and not have to worry about if they would be playing. Rather they could concentrate on how well they should be playing.

Are we in the meat of our schedule yet? No. Do I feel better than I did a year ago about our prospects for at least an 8-4 season? Yes.

War Eagle.

No comments: