Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

My Cooking on a Whim thing has been going well, although I haven't been blogging about it much. So here goes the latest great tasting dish to come out of the kitchen -- chicken pot pie. It's not from any of my cookbooks. Rather, I saw Pat and Gina Neely cook it on Food Network and decided it would be a nice addition to the 'you have to try it once' routine at our house.

This dish was easy to make, had a nice crust (even if it was store bought) and the filling was very tasty. Here are my notes if you're interested:

(1) You really should use the rotisserie chicken in the dish. It gives a depth of flavor that boiled chicken cannot. Or, you could buy a whole chicken, cut it into eight pieces, salt & pepper it, brown it in a heavy skillet, and finish roasting it in the oven.

(2) Use the sherry or not. I didn't and it tasted fine. But I do believe the sherry would have been a nice addition.

(3) You can use a pie plate instead of individual dishes. It actually took two pie plates for the amount of filling this makes.

No comments: