Sunday, June 14, 2009

Can I Help You, Sir?

We used to get the local paper delivered to our house everyday, all for $52 for the year (we got a good deal). The next year it went up to $78 per year, so we renewed even though they hadn't added twenty-four dallars worth of content. Last year, the bill came in and we were astonished to see the renewal rate of $228. No way! I cancelled the subscription the next day.

That means to get the coupons (one of the main reasons we got the paper to begin with) now, we have to go buy a paper every Sunday. Well, mostly it's Kevin who goes to Publix to buy the Montgomery Advertiser and the Birmingham News for me.

For the past couple of weeks, though, he's been attracting some unwanted attention as he thumbs through the papers to make sure there are coupons inside. Last week the assistant manager came over to bag groceries in the line where he was looking through papers, all the while eyeballing him suspiciously. Today, the assistant manager actually came up and asked him if she could help him find something. So he had to make some crack about the nagging he'd be subject to if he came home without coupons in the paper.

He's certain he's made it onto the store's most watched list. I can just see it now...the front end manager sitting in that cramped little office watching the monitor for the 'newspaper guy'. Or, the cashiers pushing the panic button under their registers when they see him approach the newspaper stand. Oooo, he's so criminal looking.

He said I'd have to get my own paper next week. I guess since it'll be Father's Day I can cut him some slack and save him having to put on a disguise just to buy my papers.

No comments: