Monday, January 4, 2010

Birmingham vs. Montgomery

I was asked a question the other night that I could not answer. Imagine that. Rare, huh? So I decided to practice what I preach and investigate why Montgomery is the capital of the state and not Birmingham. Here is what I could discern from all my research, in case you were wondering:

Montgomery was incorporated in 1816. Prior to that time, both banks of the river were inhabited by different Indian tribes. The river's presence allowed Montgomery to be a successful cotton trading town. The state capital was moved to Montgomery in 1846 from Tuscaloosa, a site chosen by the Legislature from several competing river towns. With the installation of the country's first electric rail system, Montgomery experienced a decline in residences in the downtown area, but maintained its presence as capitol of the state.

Birmingham, on the other hand, was not founded until 1871 at the intersection of two rail lines, almost 60 years after Montgomery. An abundant supply of coal, iron ore and limestone allowed the city to become a great industrial center in the South. With industrial growth came the need to sustain workers and their families and so the area grew and thrived. Although it was greatly affected by the Great Depression and almost completely wiped out, today Birmingham is sustained by the medical community associated with UAB and a strong business community.

My feeble attempt at an answer the other night when I was asked the question was on point...you have to look at both cities in a historical context and not what the cities are like today to get an accurate picture of why things are as they are. I wish I could say I really remembered all this from 4th grade Alabama History (Mrs. Hunneyman would be so proud if that were the case), but I cannot. I had to consult the Alabama Department of Archives & History.

No comments: