Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mmmm, Mmmm Good

Not long ago -- back before Thanksgiving -- I was watching a lady bug crawl around on the skylight (how do they always get inside, year after year?) and pondering one of those really important type questions...how do you make deviled eggs? Really, because my sister was so tired of bringing them to every family function. I mean, she's the logical one, don't you think, what with the chickens in her backyard and all. But nooooooo, she gave the task to me and that meant at age 37, I finally had to learn to make deviled eggs.

How do you devil an egg? I wondered.

I could have phoned a friend but that would mean I'd have to hear about calling myself Southern without knowing how to make deviled eggs. So I did what I knew best: consulted a cookbook. But not just any cookbook, this cookbook:

Oh my, it's become my go to for those dishes that everyone's mama and grandmama just know how to make, but the rest of us haven't bothered to master yet. Like Chicken Fried Steak, Squash Casserole, Chicken Noodle Soup, Pimento Cheese, buttermilk cornbread, greens, macaroni & cheese, and yes, deviled eggs. This should be required reading for all new Southern brides. Honestly, I figure all of us in my generation really should learn how to cook these things (disregard the fat if you really must) before those who have cooked it for us for so long are no longer around to give us pointers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess it never is too late to teach an old dog new tricks...old being the key word here