Tuesday, December 22, 2009

12 Days of Cookies - Day 10

The 12 Days of Christmas song boasts that today (day 10) there are ten lords a leapin'. Lords make me think of my old friend Pauline, who is from London, and thinking of her makes me think of her teaching me to 'take an afternoon cup of tea' and enjoy it with a few 'biscuits'. The first time I heard that expression, I was bewildered...who wants Earl Gray tea, with sugar and milk in it mind you, with a biscuit? A good Southern biscuit deserves some sausage gravy or homemade fig preserves or a slice of ham, not a cup of tea.

But being the great gal I am, I gave her biscuits a try. Turned out to be a shortbread cookie. Humph... why didn't she say it was a cookie? I'm all for that. But back to today's 12 Days of Cookies selection. For those leapin' lords, and Pauline, here is a twist on the traditional shortbread cookie. And with only three ingredients, it doesn't get much easier than this.

Brown Sugar Shortbread
1 cup flour
1 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients with an electric mixer. Press into a 9 inch square pan. Bake until golden at edges - usually about 18-20 minutes. Cool slightly in pan and then cut into 16 squares. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: